Every year the American Cancer Society chooses one day to encourage people to stop smoking for 24 hours and to quit for good. It’s called the Great American Smokeout, and it is tomorrow, November 18th. So, to all you parents out there who know you need to quit…tomorrow is your day. If you needed anymore motivation (although I know you don’t–those darlings are enough) here are a few tidbits.
- Living with someone who smokes (even if they only smoke outside) makes kids more likely to have ear infections, lung infections, SIDS, obesity, worse asthma and allergies.
- Smokers are more likely to be depressed.
- Any amount of smoke (not just high levels) causes genetic abnormalities in lung cells which can lead to cancer.
- People who quit smoking AND change eating habits at the same time are more successful at both.
- Children whose parents smoke are twice as likely to begin smoking.
- Brad Pitt did it for his kids. You can too.